The Oshawa Public Libraries 2017 Teen Scholarship is generously sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
Eligibility for Award
A maximum of $4,000 is available towards a scholarship(s). Winner(s) may use this money for relevant expenses to assist in working towards a post-secondary degree or program, including trade and vocational school.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in your graduating year at an Oshawa high school
- Planning on enrolling in a minimum 2 year undergraduate degree or diploma program at a recognized post-secondary institution in the fall 2017 academic term on a full-time basis. Eligible programs include: Bachelor’s degree; College Program; Trade or Vocational school Programs. Please note that non-credit or home study courses will not be considered for this scholarship
- Possess an Oshawa Public Library card in your name that is in good standing
- Must be a Canadian citizen or have a permanent resident status (proof will be required)
- Must be 19 years of age or younger
- Cannot be an employee or a relative to a current employee or Board member of the Oshawa Public Libraries
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted with the following documentation:
- A completed application form.
- A copy of your most recent high school transcript
- A letter of acceptance or proof of enrollment from the post-secondary institution, Trade or Vocational school
- An essay about how you use the public library, and the role it has played in your development. Please include examples. Maximum 1000 words (4 pages)
- Two reference letters; one of which must be from a teacher/guidance counselor and the other from a non-family member. Include the length of time you have known the applicant and why you believe the applicant is deserving of the scholarship
Guidelines for Distribution of Scholarships
The applicant’s overall marks and involvement in the community will be strong considerations for the Friends of the Library 2017 Teen Scholarship judging panel.
- If the successful applicant does not graduate from high-school or enrol in a recognized post-secondary institution program, the award will be forfeited
- Funds will not be dispersed until post-secondary enrollment and the course drop/withdrawal deadline has passed
- Scholarships are not renewable
Forward your completed application together with all required documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail or in person to 65 Bagot Street, Oshawa, ON L1H 1N2.
Deadline for Submissions is June 30, 2017